In 2012, the Spanish Office of Climate Change (OECC) launched the Climate Projects initiative, promoted through HAZ-CO2 (Carbon base for a sustainable economy from MAGRAMA). This initiative is developed in order to transform the current Spanish system into a lower-carbon level model through a payment of 9.7 euros per ton of reduced CO2 during the first 4 years that the project runs.
Characteristics of the projects:
- Located in Spain.
- The owner of the project can receive up to 9.7 euros/t reduced CO2 during the first 4 years.
- Allows emission reduction for general sectors, transport, services, waste…
- Doesn’t include sewage emission absorption or electric consumption.
- They have to be additional projects to those required by law.
|4M EUR||10M EUR||14M EUR||15M EUR||20M EUR|
|1||March 29 – May 15||Write Project Idea Note (PIN)
May – June PIN pre-selection
|May – June||PIN pre-selection/td>|
|2||June – July||Elaborate on project documents|
|August – November||Project evaluation by FES-CO2 (OECC)|
|December||Formalize buying/selling contracts|
|Annually for the duration of the 4-year contract||Follow-up (mechanic verification)|
|Every year after verification||Payment|
Gases to substitute/introduce:
Gases to substitute and their Global Warming Potential:
Gases to introduce and their Global Warming Potential:
|R-744 ( CO²)||1|
|R-718 ( H²0)||0|
- To contribute to sustainable development and end climate change.
- Improved knowledge in sustainability and climate change.
- Streamlining of installations included in the National Allocation Plan through portfolio management of emission rights.
- Project promotion in energy efficiency field.
- Calculation and compensation for carbon footprint or GEI Emissions Inventory.